Are you looking for something fresh, color and fun to add to your table? This Dilled Lentil Salad recipe, shared by our friends over at Gardening With Children fits the bill. It’s easy to make, and perfect for those of us who like to tweak a recipe to make it our own!
Dilled Lentil Salad
This recipe courtesy of epicurious.com.
- 1 cup dried lentils (preferably small French lentils)
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 3/4 lb tomatoes, diced (2 cups)
- 4 large scallions, thinly sliced (3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar, or to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- large stockpot
- Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a 2-quart heavy saucepan with lentils, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until lentils are just tender, 15 to 25 minutes. Drain in a large sieve, then transfer to a large bowl.
- Toss hot lentils with tomatoes, scallions, dill, basil, vinegar, oil, pepper, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste.
As is often the case, I couldn’t leave the recipe alone the second time around. I made the following changes, cherry tomatoes cut in half instead of diced tomato. I found it made the salad less wet and kept longer. I also used red onion in place of scallions and added petite diced carrots because my daughter loves carrots. Perhaps my biggest changes though were in the seasonings. We love garlic and dill in our house so I added more garlic and only used dill, no basil. Next time I think I might make the herb and liquid mixture up first and then marinate the onions and tomatoes prior to combining them all with the lentils.
This was a hit and we’ll be making this again soon. Maybe even later today!
Cooking Tools Help
Don’t have one of the cooking tools needed for this recipe? Not to worry, QuiBids has you covered!
Ginsu Chikara 12-Piece Knife Block Set
Ginsu’s blades are made from fully forged Japanese stainless steel that is known for its stain and rust resistance, strength and its ability to hold and incredible sharp edge. Buy it now for $139.99 and get 14 Free Bids!
Berghoff Earthchef 8-Quart Stainless Steel Covered Stock Pot
Gardening With Children
Gardening With Children is a Facebook page about having fun with your children. It focuses on spending time outdoors with gardening, crafts and games, food filled with tasty vegetables, and building an appreciation of the world around us. Check them out!
View Live Auctions on QuiBids
Follow QuiBids’s board Mmmm on Pinterest.
Products shown are currently for US customers, but may vary per market and subject to availability.