In this season of Halloween, Thanksgiving and Fall harvests the pumpkin plays a major role, both as a decoration, Jack-O-Lanterns and center pieces, as well as foods like pumpkin pie. But did you know the seeds also make an amazing and tasty treat with tons of health benefits? Today we’re happy to share with you a baked pumpkin seed recipe with endless options to meet your own personal flavor niche! We’re also including 15 of the most popular blends of spices and seasonings we’ve found on the web to get you started!
But first, did you know these health benefits of pumpkin seeds?
- 100g of seeds provides 30g of protein
- The only seeds that are alkaline-forming
- A rich source of zinc and other minerals
- Can reduce levels of LDL cholesterol
- Good for prostrate health
- Can help prevent kidney stone formations
- Helps reduce blood pressure, headaches and hot flashes due to high levels of magnesium
- and much more!
Base Pumpkin Seed Recipe
This recipe is so versatile you won’t believe it. All 15 variations we’ve listed below will work with the same set of initial instructions. Enjoy!
- Remove all the seeds from your pumpkin(s). Make sure to get as much of the stringy pulp off as possible.
- Rinse the seeds in a colander under cold water, removing any stray bits of pulps that you find.
- Set the seeds aside in a bowl, adding just enough water to cover them.
- Add 1 TSP of salt per every 1 1/2 cups of seeds and stir. Let the seeds soak for a minimum of 4 hours but overnight works best, stirring occasionally.
- Strain water out with a colander then shake dry.
- Spread the seeds out on an oiled baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes at 300 degrees to complete the drying process. It’s important not to overfill the sheet so if you have lots of seeds, save part to bake after the first batch is done.
- Remove from oven and season with your preferred spice blend from our list below, or experiment to find your own favorite blend!
- Return to the oven and bake until crisp and golden, approximately 20 minutes more.
- Let cool and enjoy!
Basic: Toss seeds with 1-2 TBL melted butter or oil. Sprinkle with salt before baking.
Sweet: Combine 1-2 TBL melted butter, with 1 TSP cinnamon and 1 TSP sugar. If doing a sweet recipe, skip the soak in salt water step.
Sweet and Salty: Don’t skip the salt water soak step. Combine 1-2 TBL melted butter, with 1 TSP cinnamon and 1 TSP sugar.
Spiced Maple: Combine 1-2 TBL melted butter with 1 TSP cinnamon, 1/2 TSP nutmeg and 2 TBL maple syrup.
Indian: Combine 1-2 TBL melted butter with 1 TSP garam masala. Mix with raisins or currants after roasting.
Spicy: Combine 1-2 TBL melted butter, with 1-2 TSP garlic and 1 TSP paprika.
Spiced: Combine 1-2 TBL melted butter, with 1 TSP garlic and 2 TSP Worchestershire sauce.
Asian: Combine 2 TBL melted butter, with 1 TSP wasabi powder and 3/4 TSP ground coriander.
Spanish: Combine 1-2 TBL melted butter with 1 TSP smoked paprika. Mix with slivered almonds after roasting.
Italian: Combine 1-2 TBL melted butter with 1 TBL grated parmesan and 1/2 TSP dried oregano.
Maryland Style: Combine 1-2 TBL melted butter, with 1 TBL seafood seasoning.
Pumpkin Pie: Combine 2 TBL melted butter, with 2 TSP pumpkin pie spice and 2 TSP sugar.
Drunken: Combine 1/2 cup whiskey, 2 TBL bacon drippings, 1 TBL brown sugar, and salt to taste.
Barbecue: Combine 1-2 TBL melted butter with 1 TBL brown sugar, 1/4 TSP chipotle chile powder and 1/2 TSP ground cumin. If you like your BBQ with a kick, up the amount of chipotle and ground cumin!
Bacon: Combine 2 TBL bacon drippings, 1/2 TSP garlic, 1/2 TSP onion powder, 1/4 TSP cayenne pepper (optional)
The seeds are best fresh from the oven but will last up to 5 days stored at room temperature in an airtight container.
Cooking Tools Help
Don’t have one of the cooking tools needed for baking pumpkin seeds? Not to worry, QuiBids has you covered!
Cat Cora 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set
The Cat Cora 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set features integrated measuring markings and a non-slip grip are two of the key features of the Cat Cora 3-piece Mixing Bowl Set. The set includes a 1.5-quart and five-quart mixing bowl as well as a three-quart colander. Buy it now for $39.99 and get 4 Free Bids!
Chef Buddy 3-Piece Stainless Steel Colander Set
The Chef Buddy 3-Piece Stainless Steel Colander Set features easy-to-grip handles and a stable base to hold it steady. These three nesting colanders are made from stainless steel for quick draining of everything from pasta to fruits and vegetables. Buy it now for $29.99 and get 3 Free Bids!
BergHOFF Earthchef 2-Piece Cookie Sheet Set
The BergHOFF Earthchef 2-Piece Cookie Sheet Set is a must-have in any baker’s kitchen. Constructed of aluminized carbon steel and oven safe to 600F. Set includes one Earthchef 15″ x 10″ Cookie Sheet and one Earthchef 17″ x 10.75″ Cookie Sheet. Buy it now for $59.99 and get 6 Free Bids!
Products shown are currently for US customers, but may vary per market and subject to availability.