Today our friends at Gardening With Children have a delicious and easy recipe for you. It starts with a classic Middle Eastern salad and wraps it in a pita to make a flavorful and portable sandwich! Please note, this recipe makes 1 sandwich.
Middle Eastern Pita Sandwich
This recipe courtesy of thelemonbowl.com.
- 1 large pita
- 2 tablespoons hummus
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 1 teaspoon za’atar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup plain low fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 clove garlic – grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Lay pita flat and spread hummus along the middle leaving space at the edges.
- In a small bowl, combine diced tomato with half of the cucumber (1/4 cup), za’atar, olive oil, half of the lemon juice (1 tablespooon) and salt/pepper to taste; spread on top of hummus in the pita.
- To create cucumber yogurt sauce, combine remaining 1/4 cup cucumber, yogurt, dried mint, garlic and remaining 1 tablespoon of lemon juice in a small bowl. Season with salt/pepper to taste then drizzle on top of the tomato salad.
- Roll pita into a wrap and slice in half to serve.
Another option is to serve the salads on a big platter and use pita bread for dipping instead of creating a sandwich.
Cooking Tools Help
Don’t have one of the cooking tools needed for this recipe? Not to worry, QuiBids has you covered!
Ginsu Chikara 12-Piece Knife Block Set
Ginsu’s blades are made from fully forged Japanese stainless steel that is known for its stain and rust resistance, strength and its ability to hold and incredible sharp edge. Buy it now for $139.99 and get 14 Free Bids!
Gardening With Children
Gardening With Children is a Facebook page about having fun with your children. It focuses on spending time outdoors with gardening, crafts and games, food filled with tasty vegetables, and building an appreciation of the world around us. Check them out!
Products shown are currently for US customers, but may vary per market and subject to availability.