Are you looking for a sweet treat that you can make at home this Valentine’s Day? Have we got a treat for you! This recipe grew from the Muddy Buddy / Puppy Chow recipe that’s been going around for years. This version is customized for Valentine’s Day and uses white chocolate or almond bark and colorful cake mix and holiday M&M’s to really bring out the Valentine’s Day cheer.
Valentine’s Day Buddy Mix
This recipe created by therecipecritic.com.
- 5 ounces white almond bark or white chocolate chocolate chips
- 5 ounces red candy melts (can be purchased at craft stores or Wal-Mart)
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 5 cups chex cereal
- 1 cup strawberry cake mix
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 package valentines chocolate M&M’s
- Mixing bowls
- It’s important not to use your regular red food coloring in place of the candy melts in this recipe. When water based dyes are added to almond bark or chocolate it causes them to seize up.
- Tiny marshmallows can also be added to this treat for a little extra fun!
- Red velvet cake mix can also be used in place of the strawberry mix.
- Start by dividing the chex mix into two bowls. (2 1/2 cup in each)
- In microwave safe dish, melt the 5 ounces white almond bark or white chocolate chips. Add 1/2 teaspoon shortening so that the almond bark will spread evenly. Microwave 30 seconds at a time and be careful not to burn the almond bark. Dump this in the first bowl of chex and mix evenly to coat all of the chex cereal.
- Melt the red candy melts next also checking and stirring the candy melts 30 seconds at a time. Once this is melted, pour this over the second bowl of divided chex and mix until coated.
- In two gallon size ziplock bags, put 1/2 cup strawberry cake mix and 1/4 cup powdered sugar in each bag. Dump each bowl of chex mix in each bag and shake until coated with the powdered sugar and strawberry powdered cake mix.
Cooking Tools Help
Cat Cora 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set
The Cat Cora 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set features integrated measuring markings and a non-slip grip are two of the key features of the Cat Cora 3-piece Mixing Bowl Set. The set includes a 1.5-quart and five-quart mixing bowl as well as a three-quart colander. Buy it now for $39.99 and get 4 Free Bids!
Products shown are currently for US customers, but may vary per market and subject to availability.