Today our friends over at Gardening With Children have another tasty treat for us. This time it’s a breakfast casserole. It makes a hearty breakfast to share with your family this holiday. Or, if you’re like our family, it can also make a delicious dinner!
Egg and Cheese Casserole with Vegetables
Recipe courtesy of andreasrecipes.com.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small red onion, cut in half vertically and thinly sliced
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves
- 2 medium zucchini or yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
- 2 cups diced red potatoes or sweet potatoes
- 1 medium bell pepper, finely chopped
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 9 large eggs, whisked
- 1-1/2 cups crumbled Feta cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 16 ounces cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- nonstick skillet
- 3-quart casserole dish
- mixing bowl
- Preheat the oven to 400° F
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in the nonstick skillet, then sauté the red onion over medium heat. Add all the spinach and cover with the lid. Allow to sweat until the spinach starts to shrink, about 5 minutes, then uncover and stir. Continue stirring until the spinach is all softened and limp, about 3 more minutes. Drain off any liquid and transfer the spinach mixture to the prepared casserole dish.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in the skillet, and add the potatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, and bell pepper. Sauté over medium heat until all the vegetables have softened, about 5 to 7 minutes. Drain off any excess liquid.
- In the large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, Feta cheese, milk, cottage cheese, parsley, salt, and pepper. Stir in the potato and zucchini mixture. Pour over the spinach in the casserole dish. Sprinkle sharp cheddar cheese all over the top, then lay the tomato slices on top of the cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350° Fand continue baking until the casserole is lightly browned and just set, about 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool about 5 minutes or so, then serve.
Cooking Tools Help
Don’t have one of the cooking tools needed for this recipe? Not to worry, QuiBids has you covered!
Anolon 12-Inch Nouvelle Copper Nonstick Skillet
Buy it now for $99.99 and get 10 Free Bids!
BergHOFF Oval 3.25-Quart Covered Baking Dish
Buy it now for $64.99 and get 7 Free Bids!
Cat Cora 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set
Buy it now for $39.99 and get 4 Free Bids!
Gardening With Children
Gardening With Children is a Facebook page about having fun with your children. It focuses on good food, spending time outdoors with games, crafts and gardening, and building an appreciation of the world around us. Check them out!
Products shown are currently for US customers, but may vary per market and subject to availability.